Sure enough, as I was posting the last post about my monster tomato plant, its roots started clogging up the 4″ PVC pipe, resulting in water backing up in the growbed so that there was a half inch of standing water above the rocks! Ugh, I had no idea tomatoes would throw out so many roots… Shows that I am still a gardening newbie!
I took some string and cloth straps (OK, cut up strips of an old sock that had holes in it – got that from http://growingyourgreens.com)and used partially-full paint cans to counter balance and lift up the tomato plant limbs, so that I as one person could pull the roots out easily. Whoa! That was a lot more than I expected – they had latched on to the chive planter 10 inches further down. I may need to vacate those second holes after the tomato plants in the short run.
The roots looked bigger in person, trust me. At any rate, I ended up taking some scissors and trimming them down a bit. I figure I’ll have to keep doing this. I don’t know if I can easily do that on the others, since they are enmeshed with the trellis. Hmm, I’ll just have to think about that one a bit.